Make The Best Decisions For You
At ThedaCare, we respect you and your wishes, and advance directives are an important part of your care plan. Advance Care Planning (ACP) is broadly defined as a process that has two components:
- Discussions between you and your health care agents (those you choose to make decisions for you if you are ever unable to) in regards to your goals and preferences for future medical care in specific situations.
- Putting those wishes/agents in an advance directive document: the Power of Attorney for Health Care (POA-HC) is a legal document that allows you to choose who you want to make decisions for you, if you are ever unable to make them yourself.
It is recommended that everyone over the age of 18 have a POA-HC/Advance Directives on file. Wisconsin is NOT a next-of-kin state. This means that if you are ever unable to make your own health care decisions, that ability does not automatically go to your spouse, parents, etc.
Discuss your document and decisions with your family and health care providers.
Instructions on how to fill out this document:
- This is a legal document that allows you to choose a person to express your health care choices/wishes in the event that you become unable to do so.
- This Power of Attorney for Health Care document (POA-HC) allows you to designate a person who will be known as your agent.
- You do not need a lawyer to complete this. ThedaCare has trained facilitators to help answer your questions or get started.
- ALL pages of the document must be kept together, even if they are optional. Missing pages make the document invalid.
- Do not cross out any mistakes. Do not write on the document after it is signed.
- All signature dates need to match.
- You will need two witnesses:
- Must be 18 or older.
- Cannot be a family member by blood, marriage or adoption.
- Cannot be anyone who will benefit from your estate. Cannot be your agent.
- Cannot be your healthcare provider (doctor, nurses, etc.).
- Your witnesses CAN BE a social worker or chaplain.
Do you need help completing or updating your POA-HC?
We are offering FREE help at seven different locations! Certified ACP Facilitators will help you fill out the document and provide witnesses. For more information or to schedule an appointment, call (920) 454-2969.
ThedaCare Medical Center-Berlin
225 Memorial Drive
Berlin, WI 54923
(2nd Floor – Library)
2nd Tuesday of every month 9:00am – 3:30pm.
2500 E Capitol Drive
Appleton, WI 54911
Every Wednesday 8:00am – 12:00pm.
ThedaCare Medical Center-New London
1405 Mill Street
New London, WI 54961
(Wolf River Room)
1st Thursday of every month 9:00am – 3:30pm.
600 N Westhaven Drive
Oshkosh, WI 54904
2nd Thursday of every month 9:00am – 3:30pm.
100 County Road B
Shawano, WI 54166
(Shawano Lake Room)
3rd Monday of every month 9:00am – 3:30pm.
710 Riverside Drive
Waupaca, WI 54981
(Shadow Lake Room – 2nd Floor)
1st Tuesday of every month 9:00am – 3:30pm.
ThedaCare Physicians-Wild Rose
701 Grove Ave
Wild Rose, WI 54984
4th Tuesday of every month 9:00am – 3:30pm.
333 N. Green Bay Road
Neenah, WI 54956
3rd Thursday of every month 9:00am – 3:30pm.
Resources available to patients and community:
We have numerous free resources to help you get this important document completed:
- Schedule a FREE Wednesday Morning Appointment with ThedaCare’s Advance Care Planning staff by calling (920) 358-1219 or emailing Jennifer.firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Attend a FREE class at Encircle Health in Appleton on the 3rd Thursday of every month from 5:00PM-6:30PM. Please call (800) 236-2236 to register.
- Find free information about Advance Care Planning and area resources from the Fox Valley Advance Care Planning Partnership or by calling (920) 997-8412.