Make The Best Decisions For You
At ThedaCare, we respect you and your wishes, and advance directives are an important part of your care plan. Advance Care Planning (ACP) is broadly defined as a process that has two components:
- Discussions between you and your health care agents (those you choose to make decisions for you if you are ever unable to) in regards to your goals and preferences for future medical care in specific situations.
- Putting those wishes/agents in an advance directive document: the Power of Attorney for Health Care (POA-HC) is a legal document that allows you to choose who you want to make decisions for you, if you are ever unable to make them yourself.
It is recommended that everyone over the age of 18 have a POA-HC/Advance Directives on file. Wisconsin is NOT a next-of-kin state. This means that if you are ever unable to make your own health care decisions, that ability does not automatically go to your spouse, parents, etc.
Discuss your document and decisions with your family and health care providers.
Instructions on how to fill out this document:
- This is a legal document that allows you to choose a person to express your health care choices/wishes in the event that you become unable to do so.
- This Power of Attorney for Health Care document (POA-HC) allows you to designate a person who will be known as your agent.
- You do not need a lawyer to complete this. ThedaCare has trained facilitators to help answer your questions or get started.
- ALL pages of the document must be kept together, even if they are optional. Missing pages makes the document invalid.
- Do not cross out any mistakes. Do not write on document after it is signed.
- All signature dates need to match.
- You will need two witnesses:
- Must be 18 or older.
- Cannot be a family member by blood, marriage or adoption.
- Cannot be anyone who will benefit from your estate. Cannot be your agent.
- Cannot be your healthcare provider (doctor, nurses, etc.).
- Your witnesses CAN BE a social worker or chaplain.
Resources available to patients and community:
We have numerous free resources to help you get this important document completed:
- Schedule a FREE Wednesday Morning Appointment with ThedaCare’s Advance Care Planning staff by calling (920) 358-1219 or emailing Jennifer.firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Attend a FREE class at Encircle Health in Appleton on the 3rd Thursday of every month from 5:00PM-6:30PM. Please call (800) 236-2236 to register.
- Find free information about Advance Care Planning and area resources from the Fox Valley Advance Care Planning Partnership or by calling (920) 997-8412.