Welcome to Fox Cities
Wisconsin’s Fox Cities encompass 19 communities along the shores of Lake Winnebago and the Fox River, including two of ThedaCare’s largest service areas: Appleton and Neenah. Blending the lifestyle of small-town America with the convenience of urban living, this vibrant, culturally diverse network of communities offers a desirable place to live, as well as convenient, integrated access to award-winning healthcare.
bed acute care
In the 1940s, a group of citizens identified the need for a nonsectarian hospital the community of Appleton, WI could call its own. On February 20th, 1958, Appleton Memorial Hospital, now called the ThedaCare Regional Medical Center-Appleton, opened its doors. The hospital has been a Consumer Choice Award winner for quality for several years running, with 750 providers leading in cardiovascular, orthopedic and emergency care.
Appleton is also home to ThedaCare’s Regional Cancer Center, delivering the latest diagnostic procedures and treatments with state-of-the-art technology. These services are also offered through our Neenah, Berlin, New London, Oshkosh, Shawano and Waupaca Cancer Care locations.
In 1909, Theda Clark Memorial Hospital opened its doors with 25 patient beds, an operating room and a delivery room. Funded by Theda Clark Peters’s estate, the hospital fulfilled her legacy of creating a better life for the people of Northeast Wisconsin, and marked the beginning of ThedaCare’s journey to provide compassionate care.
Today, ThedaCare Regional Medical Center-Neenah has more than 750 providers, specializing in stroke, spine and bariatric care. It is also home to the area’s only Level II Trauma Center, providing 24-hour coverage by board-certified emergency medical physicians and specialists. Also based in Neenah is our ThedaStar Air Medical team staffed by highly trained flight nurses, paramedics, pilots, mechanics and dispatchers who work together to transport trauma and critically ill patients to the appropriate point of care.
Our Community Impact
We believe that a person’s health is not only impacted by the health care system but also the world around them. That is why ThedaCare continues to partner with organizations throughout Fox Cities and its surrounding communities to support initiatives that make a difference to individuals and their families, including:
- Referrals, support, and follow up for treatment and recovery of individuals that have experienced an opioid overdose (ED2Recovery+ and Wisconsin Voices for Recovery)
- Improving access to mental health services (N.E.W. Mental Health Connection)
- Providing public spaces that foster social connection and promote healthy behaviors, improving access to healthy, affordable food, recreation and transportation options, and building strong community-clinical partnerships (Be Well Fox Valley)
- Creating a community of inclusion, belonging and overall well-being (Imagine Fox Cities)
- Preventing youth suicide by increasing help-seeking behaviors and promoting connections between peers and caring adults (Sources of Strength)
ThedaCare Regional Medical Center-Appleton
Every three years, ThedaCare conducts a health needs assessment of each of our seven hospital markets. Based on the results, plans are created to guide our work and address the most critical health challenges facing these communities we serve.