Weight Loss Designed For You
Our team ensures you are supported in all aspects of your weight loss, both physically and mentally. This means helping you learn and establish dietary, fitness and other lifestyle routines to stay on your personal journey. Most importantly, it means our team is with you through it all.
Our bariatric team is comprised of surgeons, nurses, dieticians, exercise specialists, and behavioral health professionals with years of experience to support you in all aspects of your weight loss — both physically and mentally.
ThedaCare Regional Medical Center-Neenah is accredited (or recognized) as a Comprehensive Center by the Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program to provide you with the answers and support you need. We have also earned the Blue Distinction designation from BlueCross BlueShield Association and have been recognized as a Bariatric Center of Excellence by Optum Health.
Lose excess weight and improve your lifestyle with the complete support of our team.
The bariatric program at ThedaCare has a positive impact on your life beyond weight loss. Whether it’s more energy for playing with children, better sleep to get you through the day or renewed joy for life in general, bariatric weight loss surgery can make a difference in all aspects of your life. These benefits even include improvement or resolution of various other diseases and conditions. We offer:
- A team-based approach
- Care coordination
- Exercise and nutrition counseling
- Emotional support
What It Means to Be Obese
Obesity is a disease, not a decision. It stems from a range of factors, many of which you can’t control, like genetics and life circumstances. Just as some people are more vulnerable to certain cancers, some people are at greater risk of becoming obese.
Obesity is the result of a high weight-to-height ratio, or body mass index (BMI). Being categorized as “morbidly obese” means you meet one of the following definitions:
- You have a body mass index (BMI) of 40 or higher, and you are at least 100 pounds overweight, OR
- You have a body mass index (BMI) of 35 or higher with significant associated medical conditions, such as high blood pressure, diabetes or sleep apnea.
Why Obesity Is Dangerous
Unfortunately, excessive weight is not the only effect of this disease. Patients suffering from obesity are also likely to experience one or more of the following conditions:
- Sleep apnea
- Fertility problems
- Back and joint problems
These multiple health problems decrease your quality of life and can be fatal.
ThedaCare offers a comprehensive program that respects and supports you while you explore a range of options.
When Diets Aren’t the Problem
If you are obese and have already struggled through unsuccessful weight loss attempts, you may be a candidate for bariatric surgery. There are three types of procedures available through ThedaCare:
- Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass: Our most common and successful surgery, this procedure restricts the size of the stomach by partially bypassing the small intestine. It provides the fastest and most complete loss of excess weight.
- Gastric Sleeve Resection: Sometimes a better choice for people with significant medical problems, this procedure removes approximately two-thirds of the stomach. It also allows for future procedures if a patient regains weight.
- ORBERA Gastric Balloon: A reversible, non-surgical weight loss procedure which means no incisions, stitches or scars. A balloon is placed in the stomach for 6 months to reinforce portion control while working with our team of experts to establish healthy habits. This procedure is FDA approved for weight loss with BMI between 30 to 40. Click here to calculate your BMI. To learn more or schedule a consultation, call us at (920) 725-4527.
On average, people will lose a total of 125-150 pounds within 1 year or later after bariatric surgery, and approximately 75% of patients maintain significant weight loss after 5 years. As a side benefit to bariatric surgery, most patients see a reduction or elimination of other medical conditions such as sleep apnea, hypertension, diabetes, fertility problems, acid reflux and joint pain.
Get With the Program!
You don’t have to explore bariatric weight loss surgery alone. As we determine whether or not you are eligible for surgery, we’ll work together to build skills and find out if you’re ready for this lifelong change. You’ll receive:
- Nutritional education & guidance
- Professional exercise training
- Emotional support & counseling
- Help with insurance considerations
In fact, the most effective program combines nutrition, diet and exercise with education and counseling. ThedaCare’s Behavioral Health Specialists can help you explore perceptions about how being overweight affects you psychologically and socially. Specially trained to understand your challenges, your behavioral specialist will listen to your concerns and help develop a strategy to improve your weight-loss success.
Take the First Step
You have the power to change your life. If you are interested in learning more about surgical weight loss and how it can help you, complete the form below.