Blueberries, broccoli and spinach are the trifecta of farmers market goodies. Enjoy this salad, which is power-packed with nutrients. Fiber, vitamin C, potassium and iron are just a few of the essential nutrients found in this recipe. Add some chicken or fish and you have a complete meal.
- 8 oz. baby spinach
- 1 cup chopped broccoli
- 1/2 of one avocado
- ¼ cup blueberries
- ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese
- ¼ cup roasted sunflower seeds
- ½ cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup low-fat buttermilk
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- A few springs fresh dill and/or other herbs
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Place the spinach, broccoli, avocado, blueberries, feta cheese and sunflower seeds in a large bowl or large platter.
- Place yogurt, buttermilk, garlic, lemon juice and zest, poppy seeds, herbs, and pepper in a blender and blend to combine. (If not using a blender, ingredients also can be whisked in a bowl until combined.)
- Pour dressing over salad and serve immediately.
Servings: 6 | Serving size: 1 cup | Calories: 100 | Total fat: 6g | Saturated fat: 1.2g | Trans-fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 5mg | Sodium: 105mg | Total carbohydrate: 8g | Dietary fiber: 3g | Total sugars: 3g | Protein: 6g | Potassium: 430mg | Phosphorous: 155 mg
Recipe courtesy of Michelle Eaton, C.D., Registered Dietitian, ThedaCare. Adapted from “The Mediterranean Diabetes Cookbook, 2nd Edition.”