Winter is a wonderful time to warm up with a cozy bowl of soup. This recipe features beans, which offer a great source of fiber and protein and contain no saturated fat. The beans also act as a nice thickening agent in this soup, giving the dish a thick and hearty texture.
- 1 16-ounce can fat-free refried beans
- 4 cups unsalted chicken broth
- 2 cups frozen whole kernel corn
- 1 16-ounce can low-sodium black beans
- 1 14-ounce can low-sodium diced tomatoes
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Dried red pepper flakes, cumin, and other seasonings to taste
- Thaw chicken breasts if frozen and cut into bite-sized cubes.
- Place chicken and olive oil in bottom of sauce pan and cook until juices run clear and chicken is browned.
- Rinse black beans and add to pot with other ingredients
- Cook until refried beans are no longer thick and soup is hot.
Servings: 10 | Calories: 190 | Protein: 18g | Saturated Fat: <1g | Sodium: 270mg | Carbohydrates: 21g | Fiber: 6g
Recipe shared by Michelle Eaton, M.S., Registered Dietitian, ThedaCare.